Delicious Chocolate Eclairs Recipe
These ridiculously delicious chocolate eclairs filled with chocolate pastry cream are nearly foolproof to make and will be gone in a flash!
Chocolate Eclairs are delicious elongated dessert with a crunchy choux pastry shell and a greedy filling of chocolate cream.
They are the perfect dessert for all occasions, you can serve them with tea, fruit juice or a good coffee. This time, when I filled them I used a delicious chocolate cream.
The good news is that these delicious eclairs look fancier and more difficult to make than they actually are, so you simply must give them a try!
Quick tip: One you have glazed the eclairs, let them rest up a little in the fridge for a couple hours to combine all the flavours.
What is Choux pastry?
Choux dough is a classic pastry made with super simple ingredients (milk, water, eggs, flour, butter, sugar and salt). It is a soft dough that gets piped onto a baking sheet.
Getting the baking temperature right is the key to success. Starting the oven at 175°C allows the pastry to rise beautifully, creating a hollow center for the filling.
What can I fill my Eclairs with?
For the filling we used a simple pastry cream where we added dark chocolate, but you can use any tipe of chocolate, and whipped cream.
Once all the eclairs are filled, then we dipped them in the chocolate glaze. The chocolate glaze is really easy to make, and super delicious on its own. It’s just a mixture of dark chocolate, cream, butter, and a touch of corn syrup.
For best results, serve these chocolate eclairs at room temp, or chilled, right away, OR within 12 hours of filling.
Serves: 20 | Prep Time: 45 mins | Cook Time: 35 mins | Ingredients: 12 | Difficulty: Easy-Med
For the Choux pastry:
- 100g Unsalted butter
- 120g Water
- 120g Whole milk
- 4g Salt
- 5g Sugar
- 135g Flour
- 240g Egg
For the Chocolate filling:
- 250g Whole milk
- 40g Egg yolks
- 70g Caster sugar
- 25g Cornstarch
- 60g Dark chocolate, finely chopped
- 125g Whipped cream
For the Chocolate Glaze:
- 80g Whipping cream
- 15g Corn syrup or glucose syrup
- 170g Dark chocolate
- 15g Unsalted butter
Method for the Choux Pastry:
1. Preheat the oven to 175°C (no fan).
2. Combine the butter, water, milk, salt, and sugar together in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
3. Bring mixture to a simmer. Once simmering, reduce heat to low and add the flour all at once. Stir until the flour is completely incorporated and a thick dough clumps into a ball.
4. Cook the dough for about a minute. Remove from heat and transfer to a large mixing bowl. Allow to cool down for a few minutes.
5. Slowly add the eggs in 3-4 separate additions mixing between each. Pour in the final addition of beaten eggs very slowly.
6. Stop adding when the Choux pastry has reached a pipeable consistency.
7. Your Choux pastry dough is complete! You can use it immediately or cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days.
8. Transfer Choux pastry dough to a piping bag, with a French tip and pipe on a perforated silicon mat, 10 eclair 10cm long.
9. Dust with icing sugar, (other than tasting good, this can also help avoid cracks.)
10. Bake for 35 minutes until golden brown.
11. Cool either on the perforated air mat.
For the Chocolate filling
1. Place the Egg Yolks in a mixing Bowl with the Caster Sugar and whisk for about a minute.
2. Add the Cornstarch and whisk it until all incorporated. Set aside.
3. Pour the milk and the vanilla bean into a small pot and place on the stove on low heat until the milk starts to boil, you can also use the Microwave.
4. Pour about half of the hot milk over the Eggs mix while continuously whisking. Stir until all combined, then pour it back into the pot with the rest of the milk.
5. Place back on the stove over low heat and keep whisking until the cream starts to thicken (Or cook using the Microwave). Keep whisking until the cream starts to boil and you see the first bubbles. Continue to whisk for 30 seconds after the first boil then remove from the heat.
6. Away from the heat, add the Cooking Chocolate that has been thinly chopped. Gently stir with a spatula until the chocolate has fully melted.
7. Pour the cream into a clean bowl or shallow baking pan like a brownie pan. Cover with plastic wrap touching the surface of the cream and directly place in the fridge to cool down and set – about 1 to 2 hours at least.
8. Once set, place the chocolate cream into a big bowl, and make smooth with a whisk.
9. Fold the whipped cream into the chocolate pastry cream until well combined.
10. Place the chocolate filling into a piping bag.
11. Carefully make 3 holes on the bottom of your eclair shells and fill the eclair shells with with pastry cream through these holes.
12. Wipe off any excess pastry cream. Repeat with all the eclair shells.
For the Chocolate Glaze
1. Heat the cream and corn syrup in a small saucepan over medium heat until it begins to gently simmer.
2. Pour over chocolate, then let it sit for 2-3 minutes to gently soften the chocolate.
3. With a small rubber spatula, very slowly stir until completely combined and chocolate has melted. The finer you chopped the chocolate, the quicker it will melt with the cream.
4. Add the cold butter cut in small pieces and stir again until completely melt.
5. Dip each filled eclair in the chocolate glaze.
6. Place the glazed eclairs on a wire rack and allow the chocolate glaze to set.
7. Better served after resting few hours in the fridge.
There you have it, Delicious Chocolate Eclair Recipe!
If you make this recipe, snap a picture & share it on Instagram tagging @cocoaboxau & we’ll re-share it 🙂 !
Ilaria is a Pastry Chef Consultant from Italy. She works with brands and businesses to create stunning & delicious desserts using traditional & modern techniques. See more of her work on: the-dessert-lab.mn.co
Join our chocolate newsletter for news, discounts and more!