Double Chocolate Cupcakes Recipe
I’ll warn you ahead of time that you won’t be able to stop at just one!
These cupcakes are addictive, but easy to put together and they are sure to impress your kids and family alike.
The soft and tender cakes are made extra tasty with the addition of regular cocoa powder and dark chocolate chips, super easy to prepare, with a rich, fudgy creme cheese chocolate frosting with a tangy twist, finishing with a scattering of funfetti sprinkles.
The flavour of chocolate is intense and the funfetti sprinkles will surely put you in a party mood. They are the perfect cake for a birthday party, baby shower or any fun-filled celebration.
We seriously hope we’ve convinced you to join the darkside of funfetti cupcakes with us, and give them a try yourself!
Serves: 15 cupcakes | Prep Time: 2 hrs | Cook Time: 30 mins | Ingredients: 11 | Difficulty: Easy
- 80g unsalted butter
- 280g caster sugar
- 200g plain flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 2 large eggs
- 240g whole milk
- 50g Dark Chocolate, chopped
- 255g Dark Chocolate, chopped
- 90g Heavy Cream
- 40g Icing sugar
- 340g Creme Cheese
Method Cupcake base:
1. Put the flour, cocoa, sugar, baking powder, salt, and butter in a freestanding electric mixer with a whisk attachment (or use a handheld electric whisk) and beat on slow speed until you get a sandy consistency and everything is combined.
2.Whisk the milk, egg, and vanilla together in a jug.
3. Then slowly pour half into the flour mixture. Beat to combine, and turn the mixer up to high speed to get rid of any lumps.Turn the mixer down to a slower speed and slowly pour in the remaining milk mixture (scrape any unmixed ingredients from the side of the bowl with a rubber spatula.
(Continue mixing for a couple more minutes until the batter is smooth, but do not over-mix).
4. Spoon the batter into the paper cases until two-thirds full and bake in the preheated static oven at 175 ° C for about 20-25 minutes, or until the cake bounces back when touched. (A skewer inserted in the center should come out clean.) Let the cupcakes cool slightly in the pan before turning out into a wire rack to cool separately.
1. In a large bowl, cream together the powdered sugar and cream cheese until smooth. Leave aside.
2. In a microwave-safe bowl, add the chopped chocolate, and microwave for 30 seconds, until melted completely (or melt on the stove top).
3. Heat the cream into a small pan or in the microwave and pour the hot cream over the chocolate in three times, stirring with a spatula in a circular pattern until the ganache is well combined, smooth and glossy. Leave aside to cool down, to room temperature.
4. Once the chocolate is room temperature, add the cream cheese mixture in and mix with a whisk (don’t over mix).
5. Pour the chocolate frosting into a piping bag with star tip.
6. Decorate the Cupcakes and sprinkle with funfetti.
Note: if your frosting is runny, place the bowl of frosting in the refrigerator until it has reached the desired consistency.
There you have it, Double Chocolate Cupcakes Recipe!
If you make this recipe, snap a picture & share it on Instagram tagging @cocoaboxau & we’ll re-share it 🙂 !
Ilaria is a Pastry Chef Consultant from Italy. She works with brands and businesses to create stunning & delicious desserts using traditional & modern techniques. See more of her work on: the-dessert-lab.mn.co
Join our chocolate newsletter for news, discounts and more!